Hi. This is a new forum, and for now you can post without registration.
Feel free to ask any questions. We are all here to help each other.

Smart Home Automation project competition

Starting with 2018 we will hold quarterly Smart Home Automation project competitions! There will also be prizes for the winners!
Read more in the official Competition topic.

Wi-Fi range extenders

Ask questions, post answers and debate all hardware related topics here

Wi-Fi range extenders

Post by oTp » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:01 pm

I have about 15 wireless sensors now all around the house, plus some outside in the garden and my main wireless router is not covering all of them with sufficient signal strength. So I bought a Netgear EX2700 what turned out to be a complete mess.

It doubled all the MAC addresses causing a pain to do MAC filtering. It also resteicts internet acces for the trafic going through the ethernet port, but i could live with that. I don't really need my sensors connecting to the outside of my home. Still it would be nice if I could use it with my phone.

Quite some time after the above failure to expand my network, I came across the Linksys RE6300.

It was double the price, but that also gave me some hope it would perform accordingly better. And it did! It actually works exactly as advertised. It creates a second network that is completely transparent and acts exactly the same as the main one. Even better, I added a second extender, connecting it to the first ones wi-fi signal, and it also works great.

Now I have all three floors of my hose evenly covered, plus I added a wired acces point in my garden shed, to cover the outside of the house. Happy times ;)
I have this setup now for a few months and it is reliable, stable and plenty fast for my needs.

Re: Wi-Fi range extenders

Post by lindseynicole010 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:59 am